Our fourth recipe in our Recipes From Around the World series comes from the Dominican Republic: Mofongo! Local Leader in the DR, Rod Davis, shared with us his favorite Mofongo recipe!
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 30 min
For the broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb beef bones (any type would do)
- 2 cloves garlic mashed
- 1 onion halved
- 4 cups water
- 1 sprig cilantro
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 3/4 tsp salt (or more, to taste)
For the Mofongo
- 1 cup oil for frying (corn, peanut or soy)
- 5 unripe plantains peeled, cut into ¾” slices
- 1 lb pork cracklings cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 tbsp garlic mashed
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (or more, to taste)
Step 2: Simmer for an hour over low heat, topping off the water every once in a while to maintain the same level.
Step 3: Season with salt to taste. Sieve and remove the solids.
Step 2: Shape into 6 balls and place in small bowls.
Step 3: Serve garnished with the beef stock.
If you try this recipe, post a photo, tag Help One Now, and we will share it with the Help One Now community! We can’t wait to see your versions of Mofongo!