UPDATE: June 12, 2012 – So far, we have raised $11, 192 for the 23 “rescued” orphans! Thanks so much everyone. (Chris)
I can’t go into deep details. If you want some of the back-story, the you should read our story about a baby called Esther. What I can say is this – we need your help. 23 kids have been rescued from an orphanage in Haiti. This orphanage is evil. The kids were disappearing. We have confirmed sources that trafficking was taking place out of this orphanage. Some of their kids have actually died due to hunger.
These kids have been abused and neglected.
From God’s Littlest Angels blog:
Several of the children are sick with fevers, coughs, diarrhea, malnutrition, swollen bellies, and one little boy has rat bites on his feet. The tiniest baby has fever, vomiting, diarrhea and is very skinny. We had to start an IV on him for the night.
Also from God’s Littlest Angels blog:
They say some children are 8 years old and they weigh 18 pounds and are the size of a 2-year-old!
I’ve personally been praying (along with many others) that God would close this evil orphanage down and that these kids would be rescued. Well, our prayers have been answered. I don’t have all the details, but here is what I know.
- The orphanage is officially closed.
- 23 kids have been relocated to God’s Littlest Angels (a great orphanage/medical clinic)
- God’s Littlest Angels was NOT expecting this to happen, but they took in all 23 kids immediately.
Last Friday, Help One Now reached out to God’s Littlest Angels. We want to help, we want our tribe to help, and we know they need help. This is not JUST their responsibility, it’s our responsibility to help God’s Littlest Angels as they help these kids. This morning I spoke with Tom Vanderwell, who is on staff at the God’s Littlest Angels, and we came up with a quick plan to help provide for these 23 kids in the short-term.
This plan will give us time to create a long-term strategy and figure out how to serve these kids. Help One Now is committed to helping God’s Littlest Angels however we can, short-term and long-term.
Here’s the immediate, short-term plan:
100% of online donations (minus transaction fees) will go towards purchasing food in Haiti, (rice, beans, fruit, etc) or will be sent to God’s Littlest Angels to buy more supplies. God’s Littlest Angels will make the final decision. Click the PayPal link below to donate. Of course, all donations are tax-deductible.
We have a team from Austin (Austin New Church) heading to Haiti on Monday, June 11. This team will take the first batch of donated supplies to the God’s Littlest Angels. (We usually buy all supplies in Haiti, but for this trip we will need the supplies to come from America due to cost and accessibility. ) Which means, next Tuesday we will be able to tangibly help God’s Littlest Angels and the kids.
Austin Churches – can you ask your church to donate the following THIS week? Our team next week, will take suitcases full of the following supplies:
- Boys and Girls Underwear 2-3T
- Boys and Girls Underwear Size 4
- Anti-fungal cream
- Skin Lotion
- Baby Oil
- Bath Towels
- Diapers for age 2 and up
- Wet Wipes
- High Protein/High Calorie Powder Drink Mix
- Pedialyte Powder
- Size 18 months to 3 T elastic shorts and T-shirts
All Churches – Can you ask your members to also bring supplies (above) to church the next few Sundays.
However, if your church brings more supplies than we can carry next week, we will be sure to ship those supplies to Haiti, ASAP. Which means, the more we get donated, the better off we are to help. We will find a way to get all the supplies to Haiti. (God’s Littlest Angels will coordinate “how” we do this!)
We will work with the God’s Littlest Angels on a long-term strategy once we meet the short-term needs — that is of course if they need long-term partners.
We know it’s impossible for a small organization like the God’s Littlest Angels to provide for these kids. It takes roughly $300-400 a month to holistically care for EACH child. We love to partner and collaborate, so we will serve the God’s Littlest Angels and help them provide for the kids’ daily needs.
How You Can Help
- Pray. For real, we need God to move. Pray for God’s Littlest Angels funds to provide for the kids. Pray for the kids, they are broken, hurting and in need for healing.
- Give: Donate cash (online) or supplies (to your local church) now. Again, 100% (minus transaction fees) will go directly to purchasing food and supplies. We will keep everyone updated on the amount raised through this blog, and we will take some pictures of the supplies when we take them to Haiti next week.
- Spread the word – tweet this link, FB this link, email your family and friends, and ask them to get involved. We need to spread the word.
Thank you for your help and partnership. It’s a beautiful story to see many churches and organizations coming together to serve orphans and advance the Kingdom of God.
CEO/Founder – Help One Now